Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Grandmother flies (1947)

.
You do find the most unexpected things on the Internet. That, I suppose, is its fascination ...

Here is my grandmother, leaving Austria after the war, a 60 year-old widow, alone, heading via London, New York and San Francisco to her sister in Sydney and then ... to us in New Zealand.



I was one year old. My mother was in her early twenties. Rudi tried to be the matriarchal grandmother, but Mama revolted and Papa managed to find enough money to buy 'Nana' a cottage at a safe distance ...

Sigh. Such a long time ago ....

PS please note the surname. My name, in spite of the reference books, is my name!

PPS If Rudi was ever 5ft 6ins when she left Austria she shrunk a hell of a lot on her way to NZ. They say strong stuff comes in little bottles....



No comments: